banner image
Planning and building

The Gold Coast is a vibrant and attractive city. We are working hard to maintain our enviable lifestyle and ensure our city continues to thrive in a sustainable way.

National Relay Service for the hearing impaired Language translation services

Building works

Different types of approvals are needed for different types of projects. For example, some projects need a development approval whilst others need a building approval. The City also allows for some projects to be accepted development.

A building approval can be sought from a private building certifier, refer to the Private Building Certifier page to find out about their role and the building works that do not require approval. If you are a private building certifier, you can also find all the information you need to archive building approvals and certification.

Use the links below for information on approvals for projects you may be working on.


Find out what you need to know about constructing a dwelling house, secondary dwelling or dual occupancy (duplex).


Find out what you need to know to construct carports, garages or sheds, retaining wall and gatehouses, as well as additional information on other common structures.

Driveways and vehicular crossings

Find out the difference between a driveway and a vehicular crossing, as well as the standards and when an approval is required.


Find out what you need to know if you are installing a pool, spa or boundary fence, as well as advice on how to resolve dividing fences/fencing disputes.

Building setbacks and plan of development

Building setbacks vary subject to zoning or a plan of development requirements. Find out details in relation to your building setback and plan of development.

After hours building and delivery works

Building work that makes an audible noise may be carried out between the hours of 6.30am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday, excluding public holidays and Sundays. Applications for after-hours building work permits may be lodged on the prescribed application form.

Referral Agency Assessment applications

The City acts as a referral agency in relation to assessing whether proposed buildings and/or structures comply with boundary setbacks, site cover and amenity and aesthetics. Find information on the application types and lodgement information.

Copies of building plans

Copies of building plans for existing structures can be obtained by completing the copies of building plans application and submitting it to the City of Gold Coast. Find information on the different plans and how to lodge an application.



Top of page Top of page